FAQ - Guided Tours
All your questions answered
Not everyone has had the pleasure of getting out to enjoy nature on a kayak.
The information below will help you get the most from your kayak tour.
Kayaking is a form of paddling where the user sits into the boat and uses a two-sided paddle to propel themselves through the water.
Kayaking is a very safe pastime, our kayaks are purpose built for stability. No experience is required for our kayak tours, our trips are designed to cater to all levels of experience and abilities. The majority of people who join our tours are first time kayakers.
We prefer to keep our groups small, so we cap tours of Lough Gill at 12 people. This ensures that our environmental footprint is as light as possible, and that everyone has an authentic wildlife experience.
Sligo Kayak Tours caters to paddlers from ages 10 to 85 years old. Those concerned with being in ‘their older years’ please contact us to discuss their physical abilities.
Yes, our kayaks are rated to carry 100kg so that is our maximum weight limit.
On the day you will be supplied with the following:
- Life jacket
- Pair of waterproof salopettes/dungarees (which are worn over your clothes).
- Drybag to store your important items such as mobile phone, car keys, wallet etc.
- Please wear lightweight but warm outdoor style clothes, dress in layers.
- Please wear suitable footwear such as hiking boots or running shoes.
- Please bring a full change of clothes and a towel which can be brought along in your dry bag.
- Please bring your own rain jacket to use over the salopettes which ensures you stay completely dry throughout the trip.
If its raining we will still paddle, within reason. The main element that will hinder us on the water is the wind. Our kayak routes are designed to be paddled in just about any wind direction and still offer the paddler a pleasant trip, although as the weather is changeable we try to make the call either a day previous to your paddle or on the morning of the paddle. We will notify you of the decision by calling you on the telephone number supplied at the time of booking and you can reschedule for another day.
Due to demand, if you cancel more than 48 hours before your paddle we will refund your booking fee. However if your cancellation takes place less than 48 hours before your scheduled paddle, we are more than happy to reschedule your paddle for another day.